We are pleased to announce the continuation of the John J Murphy Scholarship.
John Murphy was one of the long standing members of the Food Shippers of America organization both as a food manufacturer and as the Executive Director. John spent over 40 years in the transportation industry of which the last half was at The Borden Food Company where he retired in 1995. After John retired he spent 14 years as the Executive Director of Food Shippers of America
John’s impact and contributions to the organization included:
- Ambassador for the food industry
- Facilitated the combining of the rail/3PL and motor carrier conference in 1997
- Grew the organization from 150 to the 800+ it is today
- Instrumental in transforming the organization to become more interactive and collaborative by doubling the shipper/receiver participation
- Voice and visionary of the organization
- Friend and mentor to hundreds of food logistics professionals
Most importantly he understood, progressed and protected the mission and values of the Food Shippers of America to be an educational resource that could be influential in driving change in the industry.
Eligible Applicants are children or dependents (including spouses) of a Supply Chain Logistics Department employee whose Company's membership dues are current.
The 2017 John J. Murphy Scholarships will include distribution of $22,500.00.
The primary award of $7,500 will be awarded to whom is determined to be the most qualified individual based on review of submitted applications by the current Officers and Board members of Food Shippers of America. The top applicant will be invited attend the Food Shippers of America annual conference for a presentation of scholarship award Monday morning of the 3 day event. Additional consideration will be given to applicants with a major in Logistics or Supply Chain Management.
An additional awards of $5,000 and $4,000 will be presented to the second and third most qualified individuals, the fourth most qualified applicant receiving $3,000 and the fifth and sixth most qualified applicants receiving $2,000 and $1,000 accordingly. We encourage all interested students to apply. Additional consideration will be give to those applicants with a major concentrating in Business, Logistics or Supply Chain Management.
Complete Scholarship applications, transcript and references must be received by December 31st, 2016 for consideration of the 2017 John J Murphy Scholarship award.
The guidelines for becoming an applicant for this scholarship are as follows:
1. Applicant must be a child or dependent of a Supply Chain Logistics department employee of a Food Shippers of America member company whose membership has been paid for in full.
2. “Supply Chain” scholarship requires enrollment in a college program with additional merit places on those majoring in Logistics or Supply Chain Management. Additional awards are available to all applicants enrolled in a college program; however additional consideration will be allocated to those applicants with a major concentrating in Business, Logistics or Supply Chain Management.
3. Applicant must have maintained at least a 3.25 grade point average during their junior and senior years of high school and/or have maintained this average if currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate courses.
4. Applicant packet must be completed in its entirety.
5. Received applications will be reviewed and selections determined by the current sitting Officers and Board members of Food Shippers of America.